Saturday, May 20, 2006

The Subway

The subway is the great equalizer. I'm looking around right now (it's 4:27 AM) at at all of these blue collar (read: poor) workers around me and guess who's standing? Yep, me. That's cool . I'm ok with standing while the salt of the earth sits down. Hell, they walked into the subway car before I did, so they have earned the right to sit. Seriously. I really don't mind.

In all other worlds, they are shining my shoes (while I sit), cleaning my toilets (where I sit), or doing other menial tasks which I don't even think about doing (as I sit on my cushy leather chair at work). My point is, and has always been, that the subway is the great equalizer. It doesn't matter if you're rich or poor, blue collar or white collar, toilet scrubber or toilet sitter, as long as you get on the damn train first, you get a seat.

The subway is a place where a school janitor can look a CEO straight in the eye and give him the "fuck you, buddy, I got here first" look. I think there's something poetic about that.