Thursday, November 02, 2006

Single Statistics

Guys I’ve got great news…no, it’s not that I’m off the market and your girlfriends are safe, but nice try. I learned something today that goes a long way in explaining why twenty and thirty-something year old women in Manhattan are perpetually frustrated with their dating situation and guys my age are walking around like they just banged two hot blondes that happen to be roommates – because they probably did.

I alluded to this fact in my last blog, so now it’s time for me to explain. You see guys, we’ve got numbers here. I’m not talking about the standard “52% female to 48% male” kind of numbers that the U.S. Census published a few years ago. No, I’m talking mad numbers. Let me explain. According to a recent local market New York City study, there are 79,000 single women between the ages of 25 and 34 years old in Manhattan, while there are only 68,000 single men. Yes, I realize that’s just shy of a 54% - 46% female to male ratio, but there’s one key factor that’s not accounted for in this study… gay men. Another study done by the University of Chicago a few years ago revealed that on average, 9.2% of men and 2.6% of females in major U.S. cities are gay.

Adjusting the previous numbers for the gay population gives you roughly 77,000 straight, single women to about 61,500 straight, single men, translating into a 56% female to 44% male ratio…a full 8 percentage point swing.

Maybe that doesn’t seem like a huge difference, but think about all of the women you know. All of those single females that you work with…they are all looking for guys and there are over 15,000 more of them than there are of us.

Still not impressed? Let me put this into context for you, picture standing in the middle of center court at Arthur Ashe Stadium. Now picture every fucking seat in the stadium filled with a single woman. Like the sound of that? Me too, that picture roughly represents the number of single women in NYC that do not have a single male counterpart. I’ll take that all day long.

Translation: Happy hunting out there guys. Ladies, if you find a good one, you better hold on to him…statistically, the odds are stacked against you.

Cheers,

NYCDG